Core Business | Week One
Google Chrome
Venessa lead us through how to set up our google accounts online, and how to switch seamlessly between multiple accounts. We learnt how to upload profile pictures, save passwords and manage our chrome browser. I already have two google accounts, a personal one and a professional one, that I switch between when necessary. However, I really enjoyed learning how to change the theme of my chrome browser, as I didn't know how to do this. I've chosen a gorgeous rose-coloured theme for my browser.
Google Groups
Dorothy talked us through how to set up and organise google groups. She shared a Deep Dive slide with us to follow along with, which I found very supportive. While I don't have access to create my own google groups at school, Dorothy made it very clear that we are to use groups, not contacts, to create new google groups.
Google Drive
Venessa lead us through how to organise our files into folders. Venessa explained that we need to be cautious with sharing permissions when sharing files and folders, and to ensure that we don't move a file out of someone else's folder. I always use 'Add to Drive' to save shared files into my drive, and if I want to edit it or have my own permissions, then I'll make a copy of the file itself. Venessa also discussed sharing with specific people, set overall permission settings, prevent editors from changing access and inviting more people.
Google Documents
Dorothy took us right back to basics and taught us how to use expectations when our students are creating google docs. She talked about how to name documents - it's really important to set expectations for naming google docs and I completely understand why. When students name their docs, it's a good idea for students to put their initials at the front of the doc, followed by the document name. This is important because when I, as the teacher, open all the docs in multiple tabs on my computer, it's easy for me to navigate and identify which doc belongs to which student.
Dorothy also gave us some really key points when using google docs, which was all new learning for me. When copying and pasting from the internet, it's important to paste without formatting to remove links, coding and to keep the text formatted correctly. Dorothy showed us how to create headings and titles using the styles tool, which again was new learning for me. After copying and pasting an example text, we then followed step by step to insert headings, and change the font, size and colour of all the headings in the document by using the styles and match tool. After this, we then inserted a table of contents, which is automatically created using the headings we've chosen.
Dorothy really made think when she raised the question. When thinking about this, I could really see the benefit and rationale behind the voice typing tool, and feel confident to use this in my classroom as part of my students' learning.
We then moved into our small bubble again, where we participated in an activity designed to support our students with reading mileage. I really enjoyed this activity and believe it will be very beneficial for my students this year.
Garhard then showed us some key features for creating using google docs. He shared the quote:
I really like this quote because it relates well to some of the students in my class, who need a lot of guidance and directions when it comes to creativity - if there are too many options available, they can really struggle. After Gerhard modeled how to create in google docs, as well as how to make an image transparent using remove.bg. We were then given some time in our digital bubbles to design and create a poster or info-graphic using google docs. I knew google docs had limitations that other google tools had, such as overlapping images and text, and using images as the background; however, I'm quite impressed with how creative I could be using only google docs. What do you think of my poster?
Whaiwhakaaro
My biggest take away from today's session, is using google documents to support students' reading and writing. I'm really excited to start implementing my professional learning from today, in my classroom when we physically return to school. I especially liked the voice typing and the eyes on text resources.
After listening to Dorothy and other experts speak today, I feel the need to slow down, set expectations, and solidify some of my students' knowledge around using and navigating google docs.
Venessa lead us through how to set up our google accounts online, and how to switch seamlessly between multiple accounts. We learnt how to upload profile pictures, save passwords and manage our chrome browser. I already have two google accounts, a personal one and a professional one, that I switch between when necessary. However, I really enjoyed learning how to change the theme of my chrome browser, as I didn't know how to do this. I've chosen a gorgeous rose-coloured theme for my browser.
Google Groups
Dorothy talked us through how to set up and organise google groups. She shared a Deep Dive slide with us to follow along with, which I found very supportive. While I don't have access to create my own google groups at school, Dorothy made it very clear that we are to use groups, not contacts, to create new google groups.
Google Drive
Venessa lead us through how to organise our files into folders. Venessa explained that we need to be cautious with sharing permissions when sharing files and folders, and to ensure that we don't move a file out of someone else's folder. I always use 'Add to Drive' to save shared files into my drive, and if I want to edit it or have my own permissions, then I'll make a copy of the file itself. Venessa also discussed sharing with specific people, set overall permission settings, prevent editors from changing access and inviting more people.
Google Documents
Dorothy took us right back to basics and taught us how to use expectations when our students are creating google docs. She talked about how to name documents - it's really important to set expectations for naming google docs and I completely understand why. When students name their docs, it's a good idea for students to put their initials at the front of the doc, followed by the document name. This is important because when I, as the teacher, open all the docs in multiple tabs on my computer, it's easy for me to navigate and identify which doc belongs to which student.
Dorothy also gave us some really key points when using google docs, which was all new learning for me. When copying and pasting from the internet, it's important to paste without formatting to remove links, coding and to keep the text formatted correctly. Dorothy showed us how to create headings and titles using the styles tool, which again was new learning for me. After copying and pasting an example text, we then followed step by step to insert headings, and change the font, size and colour of all the headings in the document by using the styles and match tool. After this, we then inserted a table of contents, which is automatically created using the headings we've chosen.
"Do we want our learners to be 'writers', or do we want them to be good at writing surface features?"
Dorothy really made think when she raised the question. When thinking about this, I could really see the benefit and rationale behind the voice typing tool, and feel confident to use this in my classroom as part of my students' learning.
We then moved into our small bubble again, where we participated in an activity designed to support our students with reading mileage. I really enjoyed this activity and believe it will be very beneficial for my students this year.
Garhard then showed us some key features for creating using google docs. He shared the quote:
"Give me the freedom to create in a restricted space."
I really like this quote because it relates well to some of the students in my class, who need a lot of guidance and directions when it comes to creativity - if there are too many options available, they can really struggle. After Gerhard modeled how to create in google docs, as well as how to make an image transparent using remove.bg. We were then given some time in our digital bubbles to design and create a poster or info-graphic using google docs. I knew google docs had limitations that other google tools had, such as overlapping images and text, and using images as the background; however, I'm quite impressed with how creative I could be using only google docs. What do you think of my poster?
Whaiwhakaaro
My biggest take away from today's session, is using google documents to support students' reading and writing. I'm really excited to start implementing my professional learning from today, in my classroom when we physically return to school. I especially liked the voice typing and the eyes on text resources.
After listening to Dorothy and other experts speak today, I feel the need to slow down, set expectations, and solidify some of my students' knowledge around using and navigating google docs.
Gemme-Lee,
ReplyDeleteYou have written a well thought out reflection. I like that you have acknowledged the need to slow down to set expectations and provide your students time to solidify their understanding of Google Docs. It is a tool we often overlook, yet it is able to do so much.
I like your info-graphic! Having a table to help align items makes life so much easier, but makes your creations looks flawless.
I'm looking forward to seeing what other amazing things you create over the next 8 weeks. :)
Venessa