DFI Computational Thinking | Week 8
Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to participate in this weeks DFI session. What I really like about learning online, is the accessibility of resources, whether you are working from work or home! I have been able to access each of the slides and look through the agenda, to support my understanding of computational thinking, even though I wasn't able to attend. Isn't that fantastic?
Manaiakalani Kaupapa - Empowered
Taking a look at the Manaiakalani Empowered site, clearly shows the underling ideals of Manaiakalani, and the goals they have for educators and their students. I really align with the quote they have provided "The Manaiakalani Kaupapa of Empowerment is about enhancing Rangatiratanga..." Now, if you're unfamiliar with this word Rangatiratanga, it refers to the ownership that one has over themselves; the right to exercise authority; self-management and self-determination; leadership; and autonomy.
Manaiakalani's choice of vocabulary here is very powerful. Our students are our Rangatira, and they are our future. It is important that we empower them by equipping them with the right tools, skills, and knowledge, in order for them to move forward into the world successfully. By enhancing Rangatiratanga, we are then transferring ownership and ensuring our tamariki can make their own decisions and access their own learning.
New Digital Curriculum
Kerry joined this DFI Session and ran everyone through an introduction to computational thinking and Hangarau Matihiko. I've done some professional development previously with computational thinking through Raranga Matihiko in Waitangi, both last year and this year.
I do find coding quite challenging, and favour the block coding as it is much easier than 'traditional' coding. My students really enjoy using scratch, and recently some of my students have used scratch to create and learn. I'm always surprised and impressed by how well my students can navigate online resources, including scratch, dash robots, film-making, etc. and they learn very quickly! They always show great perseverance and problem-solving skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment