Pages

Monday, 3 June 2019

TEDx FondduLac

The secret to being enough
Nadine Machkovech



What I love about TED and TEDx Talks, is that they are about growth and personal development. They are real people, sharing their own, very real, stories. They aren’t about highlighting what we should be doing or how we should be living, but the messages allow us to think critically about underlying themes and allow us to take what we are ready to receive at that point in time.

I got very emotional listening to two messages tonight: “The secret to being enough” and “The other side of ego”. In “The secret to being enough”, Nadine talks about the feeling most people experience of being unworthy or ‘not enough’. She shares her story growing up and experiencing this way when her parents got a divorce, and being the youngest of five girls, and going to school. She talked about caring too much about what other people thought of her at a young age, and putting her worth in the hands of others, especially boys. She talked about taking drugs to hide the pain she was experiencing on a daily basis, and becoming an addict at the age of 14. She also talked about sitting on the edge of a lake, wanting to end her own suffering.

Nadine talked about reconnecting with her older sister, who loved her and accepted her as she was, but needed her to change. Her sister took her in on the condition that she get sober. Her sister laid out clear rules and expectations and curfew, and Nadine felt like she was being treated like a child. Nadine was 23, and fell to her knees, asking her sister for help.

She is now sober in long-term recovery, living her own truth. She speaks about the shift in her mindset towards her self-worth, and challenges the audience, instead of “Why me?”, o ask themselves, “Why not me?”.

This is the question I choose to challenge myself with. When I'm sitting in my classroom, questioning my ability. When I'm marking their assessments, questioning myself having taught them the best I could. When I'm struggling to manage my emotions in classroom full of emotional pre-teens, I choose to challenge myself with this question.

Why not me? Who am I to play small? Playing small doesn't serve my students, nor does it serve myself. Why not me?

No comments:

Post a Comment