Digital Dig
Today, we took a look at devices and the digital world through our students' lives. We worked in our small digital bubbles and worked through a Digital Dig activity, which I found very interesting. There were a few tasks that seemed very simple, but with a different device and using the chromebook simulator, I found it quite challenging to learn something new and adapt to the new digital environment. I definitely found the chromebook difficult to navigate, in comparison to my teacher laptop. The device was smaller, more compact, limited access, and different keys and mouse use.
This made me think about how well my students adapt to their devices at school, particularly the students that have to make adaptions during the week and need to switch devices for whatever reason. Watching my students navigate their devices, I feel that I have really taken their adaptability and initiative for granted. I realised that I haven't spent time teaching my students how to navigate their devices, or how to use their keyboards. While I do have a very digitally fluent class, I do have a small number of students who are new to digital learning, and would absolutely benefit from a digital dig.
Here is my digital dig that I started during our session today.
We then explored Explain Everything, which is predominantly used in the junior school. This was the first time I have used this tool, but it was easy to navigate and fun to use. Here is my first attempt:
Create - Screencastify
For our create session this afternoon, we were given the choice of recreating an activity using Explain Everything, Screencastify, or Hapara Workspaces. I found an awesome Cybersmart activity that can be done with the whole class, and students play together in pairs. It's a race against the clock, and the whole team needs to collaborate and work together. I chose to record myself talking through this Cybersmart activity called 'Brainium', which is designed for Years 5+. Here's my screencastify.
Gemma-Lee,
ReplyDeleteUsing Chromebooks can be frustrating, especially when we are used to a certain type of device. It is good to become familiar with the devices our learners use so that we can understand what it is like for them, but also so that we can support them.
That looks like a fabulous cyber-smart activity, I must remember this next year when I'm back in class. I look forward to seeing your EE creation; you may need to change the viewing permissions on this one.
Hope you are feeling better,
See you next week.