GROWTH MINDSET.
Today was an amazing day! It's the beginning of Term 2 and I am now seeing shifts in my students academics. We have our literacy goals established for individuals and for groups. We have our daily reading rotations happening. We have group and individual work happening. We have follow up tasks, pre tasks, and guided reading happening. And most importantly, we have an amazing classroom culture where groups are working together and sharing their ideas, contributing to discussions, and working towards their goals. (Almost) everyone is engaged, every day. It's fantastic.
I was on release today and had a reliever in my class. The feedback at the end of the day was amazing to hear. My students knew what they were supposed to be doing during literacy, maths, and straight after break times. My reliever said she went to check the board for what the class was doing next and everyone was already sorted with their reading books, silently reading and waiting for their milk monitors to bring their milk around. What awesome feedback. So rewarding to know that the class not only know their routines, but that they're showing respect and responsibility for the teacher, whoever it may be. I was very pleased.
During the day I managed to do running records on all of my Year 4 students and some of my Year 5s, and I was so impressed!! All of my Year 4s have shifted except 2, but those two students are currently in an intervention so I wasn't surprised. And my Year 5s have all shifted so far as well. I even noticed one of my young maori boys who didn't care about his learning last year (likely due to the fact his attendance was very low and his academics reflected this) showing an interest in where he was for his reading today. We talked about his movement and his goals, and how he's going to get there. He was very proud of himself, and that, that in itself makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.

No comments:
Post a Comment