Pages

Saturday, 16 June 2018

Using IYT strategies


13.03.2018

A colleague and I have recently completed an inquiry that focused on the development of student agency through the implementation of collaborative and digital technology in the classroom, as part of our study through MindLab. Through this inquiry we had to quickly change our mindset and understanding of digital technology and its clear use as a tool for learning. We collaborated throughout the inquiry as we met many barriers, including:
  • not enough devices creating an unfair and competitive classroom environment, and
  • the decision to stop using google classroom and literacy contracts part way through the initiative.
The collaborative problem solving has allowed for almost one-to-one devices, and a more learning-focused use of chromebooks, e.g.
  • Writing, including using national geographic for images and information, online dictionary and thesaurus applications, and comments through google docs as a way of collaborating and receiving feedback
  • Inquiry-focused research, creation, and sharing,
  • Te reo maori - the use of google slides to record (new) information such as our whakapapa and any new learning we acquire.
As part of the Incredible Years program for teachers, I have been inquiring into the behaviour of my students and how I can minimise and prevent unwanted behaviour.

One of the strategies I have begun to implement is speaking in a positive way in order to encourage the behaviour I want to see. For example - walk with your chromebook closed, instead of don’t walk with your chromebook open - being specific in the behaviour I want to see.

Another strategy I am implementing is giving clear instructions. It’s important to make sure I have everyone’s attention before I start to give instructions. I’m beginning to speak clearly so that everyone has the opportunity to hear me. I’m offering wait time for students to process the information I have given them, and I’m limiting my instructions to 3 commands so they are achievable for students to recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment